<$BlogRSDUrl$>

That awkward space between reality and reality television.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Ok. How did it get to be a week until the Oscars? I haven't had time to catch as many nominated movies as I usually do during January and February, but if I can make it to There Will Be Blood this week, I'll have covered the Best Picture nominees.

I will post my predictions for the awards by the end of the week. Miles, and anyone else out there in the blogosphere are welcome to post there guesses as well.

I did catch a few movies over the past two months. So let's catch up on those...

I Am Legend
Director: Francis Lawrence
Grade: C-

I only went to see this because I was bored and it was the only thing playing that sounded promising. And it was promising, but it didn't follow through with the setup. I also have no idea why it was titled I Am Legend.


Shoot 'Em Up
Director: Michael Davis
Grade: C+

With a wink at the camera, this movie goes so far over the top that it is a lot more fun than most mindless action movies. If you ever wanted to see a fight scene done in mid skydive, or a baby delivered during a shoot out, then this is a must see.


Michael Clayton
Director: Tony Gilroy
Grade: B+

I think I liked this movie. It took me a while to figure out what the point was, but it does a good job of keeping you in suspense even if you don't know what is going on. George Clooney is good, though I didn't find him Oscar nominee good, however, I think Tilda Swinton deserves best supporting actress.

Atonement
Director: Joe Wright
Grade: B

I recommend seeing this movie even though I was bored with it for spells. It is beautifully shot, and I found the first hour intriguing. The second act meanders as if only to represent the passing of time. The war scenes are reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan mixed with the pining for a barely known love of Cold Mountain. I liked the ending of the story, but I didn't like the devices used to present it. The director too often relied on cliched film conventions to hold the plot together. After an hour and fifty minutes of a beautifully shot period piece, we are thrust into present day so that the ending can be explained to us. I found this jolting, invasive, and a bit insulting.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Archives